All is in readiness for what is shaping as vintage edition of the world’s greatest greyhound race, the TAB Melbourne Cup!
Hooked On Scotch set the track alight when breaking the track record in his heat last week and is the popular pick to claim this week’s final. But the precocious four time group race winner will face stiff opposition from seven extremely talented greyhounds all hoping to etch their name into the history books by claiming the most sought after trophy in the sport.
The TAB Melbourne Cup highlights a bumper 12 race card that includes nine feature finals and carrying more than $1,000,000 in prize money. There’s a projected $1,000,000 TAB quaddie pool for those that enjoy a flutter as well as a range of other exciting offers.
PLUS, fans are in for a special treat with the first ever Cup Night Speed Star match race between two of the country’s fastest – and most popular greyhounds, Feral Franky and Sennachie!
Make sure you’re track side to enjoy every minute of the action and be part of greatness!
Where: Sandown Greyhound Racing Club, View Road, Springvale
How to get there:
Drive: Free parking is available on View Road, and on Lightwood Road opposite the Sandown Park train station.
Train: Sandown Park station is on the Dandenong/Pakenham/Cranbourne line. The track is a two minute walk from the station
Time: Gates open at 6pm
TV: Sky Racing 1 (Foxtel channel 526)
Online: Extended showcase coverage via the Sky Active and Watchdog apps
Radio: RSN – Racing and Sport (927am) or stream online here)
Online/Digital: RSN Carnival bringing you complete coverage from the track, live and uninterrupted
Race caller: James Van de Maat
First race: 6.51pm
TAB Melbourne Cup: race 6 at 8.51pm
Race record: 29.16 (Dyna Double One, 2015)
Prizemoney: $630,000 (1st $435,000 + trophy and rug), 2nd: $130,000, 3rd: $65,000. Each finalist also won $12,000 for winning their heat last week
Chance to win: One lucky patron will spin the Sandown Super wheel for the chance to win $500,000 cash!
Plus heaps of other prizes and giveaways
For punters: There is a $1,000,000 projected TAB quaddie pool on tonight’s meeting. First leg is race 5 at 8.08pm
Place a fixed-odds win bet using your TAB App while in a TAB venue or at the track and get Bonus Bets back if your dog runs 2nd or 3rd in ALL RACES
Form guide: Click here
Click here for a wrap and replays of the Cup heats
Latest market: TAB Melbourne Cup
Match Race: Feral Franky vs Sennachie, the ‘tail’ of the tape
6.00pm: Gates open
6.52pm : Race 1
7.36pm: Match race – Feral Franky vs Sennachie
8.08pm: Quaddie first leg (group 3 Cup Night Sprint)
8.51pm: Group 1 TAB Melbourne Cup
9.08pm: Group 3 Sir John Dillon Memorial
9.27pm: Group 1 Bold Trease
10.47pm: The lucky last
Social media: Find us on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram, search for @sandowndogs
Sound smart to your friends:
- First run in 1956, this is the 64th edition of the great race
- 26 favourites have won the Cup, but only three of the last 15
- Classic Capri (2001) was the longest priced winner, paying $25.90
- Box 1 is the most successful box with 17 wins
- No greyhound has won from box 3 since 1995
- Box 6 is the least successful box with just four victories
- The fastest heat winner has won five of the last 9 finals
- Since 1987, the largest (El Grand Senor, 39kg) and smallest (Got A Moment, 24.9kg) to contest the Cup both won their respective final
TAB Melbourne Cup runners. Did you know?
- Box 1: Campini – is undefeated from two starts from box 1
- Box 2: Get It Gizmo – won the group 1 TAB Topgun from this draw in October
- Box 3: Whiskey Riot – has been placed in each of his four previous group finals
- Box 4: Flynn – won the Bill Collins Speed Star in May
- Box 5: Western Envoy – is Angela Langton’s second Cup finalist after Black Illusion which also drew box 5
- Box 6: Jaro Bale – is Andrea Dailly’s 13th Cup finalist (has a 2-3-1 record)
- Box 7: Oakvale Beauty – her mother was a group 1 winner at Sandown Park
- Box 8: Hooked On Scotch – is the 6th Sandown Park track record holder to make the Cup final, none have run a place
Notable market moves
Race 5: Snags McKenzie $23 -> $9
Race 6: Campini $8 -> $5
Race 7: Waging War $6 -> $3
Race 8: Tornado Tears $6.50 -> $4
Race 8: Just Terms $14 -> $8